Faculty of Social and Cultural Communications (Faculty of Liberal Education before March 9th, 2015) of Belarusian State University was established on March 11th, 2004. Vladimir Z. Spirin, PhD in Engineering Science, headed the faculty from the day of its foundation up to 2005, then for 12 years Evgeniy V. Gurskiy, PhD in Engineering Science, was the head of the faculty. Currently the Faculty, headed by Ivan I. Yanushevich, PhD (candidate) in Historical Sciences, includes 9 departments, which represent all modern trends of liberal arts and related specialties in which highly-qualified specialists are trained:
- Department of Translation Theory and Practice
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of General and Clinical Psychology
- Department of Human Ecology
- Department of Design
- Department of Cultural Studies
- Department of Computational Linguistics and Linguodidactics
- Department of Management and Economy in Social Sphere
- Department of the German Language
Specialists are trained in the following specialties:
1. Design (communicative design as the area of focus).
The duration of training is 5 years with the qualification «Designer».
2. Applied mathematics (web programming and computer-aided design as the area of focus). The duration of training is 4 years with the qualification «Computational specialist» and «Computer-aided designer and web-developer».
3.1. Cultural studies (applied cultural studies as the area of focus).
- advertising and public relations management; international cultural ties management.
The duration of training is 4 years with the qualification «cultural specialist and manager».
3.2. Cultural studies ( fundamental cultural studies as the area of focus).
- American studies and the English Language
- German studies and the German Language
- Hebrew studies and the English language
The duration of training is 4 years with the qualification «cultural specialist and researcher», «teacher».
4. Management (social and administrative management as the area of focus).
The duration of training (based on secondary professional education) is 3 years with the qualification «managing economist».
5. Modern foreign languages
5.1. Modern foreign languages (teaching as the area of focus)
- – computational linguistics;
- computer-assisted language learning.
The duration of training is 5 years with the qualification «linguist», «teacher of 2 foreign languages» (as specified).
5.2. Modern foreign languages (translation as the area of focus).
The duration of training is 5 years with the qualification «linguist, English and German languages translator».
6. Social work (social project management as the area of focus).
The duration of training is 4 years with the qualification «social worker and social project manager».
The Faculty has the following laboratories:
- laboratory of program and simulated training resources
- neuromorphology scientific research laboratory
- creative design laboratory
- «Labyrinth» students’ scientific research club
- «Computational linguistics» students’ scientific research club
- «Litera» students’ club
- «Phoenix» personal and professional development club
- «Computer-aided design» students’ scientific research laboratory.
The Faculty is engaged in scientific research and developments coordination: intramural international scientific events, scientific conferences and seminars on related scientific and innovation activities as well as the problematic field of the functional area of the scholar school are held.
The faculty has 2 students’ scientific and research laboratories, 3 creative scientific clubs, 1 creative scientific union and a personal and professional development club.
The faculty has the Students’ Self-administration Council with the leaders of youth organizations as its representatives: Belarusian Republican Youth Union, BSU students’ union, Students’ Union organization, Students’ Council on quality of education, Council of Monitors, the «Gumka» newspaper editorial staff.
The «Share the warmth of your heart’ Committee project gave rise to its volunteer movement.